Saturday, October 8, 2011

Five-Star Vegetarian Chili

October is not only national chili month, it's also national vegetarian awareness month.
I am NOT a vegetarian. I like me some meat. I also like the t-shirt I saw recently that said, "I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian."
Now, with all of that said, Here is what I think is a pretty good vegetarian chili recipe:

Five-Star Vegetarian Chili

Ingredients
1 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 Tbsp dried oregano
2 tsp chile powder
1 tsp ground cumin
One 28-oz can unsalted diced tomatoes (do not drain)
One 15-oz can unsalted tomato sauce
2 cups water
1/3 cup bulgur
Two 15-oz cans cannellini and/or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Directions
1. Warm oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic chile pepper, oregano, chili powder and cumin. Cook 2 minutes
2. Add tomatoes (with juice), tomato sauce and water. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in bulgur and beans. Reduce heat to medium and cook 15 minutes or until thickened. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment